The Forum allows users to participate in conversations around shared blog posts, taped video encounters, and podcasts. Possible topics for such conversations include current events, Illichian concepts, and the intersection between Illich’s thought and that of others. The specific content of the conversation and the format in which it is conducted is left to participants.  

The Forum allows users to participate in conversations around shared blog posts, taped video encounters, and podcasts. Possible topics for such conversations include current events, Illichian concepts, and the intersection between Illich’s thought and that of others. The specific content of the conversation and the format in which it is conducted is left to participants.  

The Police and the ...

Notifications
Clear all

The Police and the Commons

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
Chris Bateman
(@chrisbateman)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Dear convivial thinkers,

Over at Stranger Worlds and How to Live in Them, I've just run my first piece riffing off Illich's thought. This 3-minute reflection, "The Police and the Commons", is based upon "Silence is a Commons", as will be another one coming next month. (Also, I now have my copy of In the Mirror of the Past, and so I expect to be writing more reflections on Illich's thought later this year - thanks again for the tip about this volume!)

This week's piece actually follows indirectly from last week's, "The Axe and the Tree", which although it does not mention Heidegger still builds towards the central point of "The Question Concerning Technology", and serves as a prelude to "The Police and the Commons" by framing the contrast between resources and commons via an African proverb.

Anyway, I thought I would share these 3-minute reflections here for anyone who is interested:

Comments at Stranger Worlds are restricted to paid subscribers, but I would welcome your comments here, of course, and if you're interested in what I'm trying to do with this series of short essays I would also welcome you joining as a free subscriber (which will email you all these ~750 word essays as they go up each Tuesday).

With unlimited love,

Chris.

Posted : 15/02/2023 6:27 am
Share: